Thursday, January 16, 2014

Salve Va Italia!

Salve Tutti!

That's right.  I'm writing.... in Italy.  And may I say, I'm in absolute paradise right now.  I'm sitting in a cute computer shop typing on a key board designed for English and Italian.  A little odd but awesome.  So the flights were soooo long.  I felt like a marshmallow after landing in London because I was so puffy from sitting so long.  Our flight was delayed in Dallas so we were there for 6 hours instead of 4.  Luckily the airport rearranged everything and we finally landed in Milan.  On the way to Milan I sat next to a girl and was able to give her two pamphlets and answer tons of questions about the Gospel.  Missionary work doesn't start once you get to the mission. It's happening now.  My mission president is President Dibb and his beautiful wife.  We dined on home made lasagna, pizza, salad, and gelato my first night here.  After 7 weeks of cafeteria food and three days of airport food, it was the best meal I've ever eaten.  We stayed at a cute hotel and the next day met our trainers.

So for those of you who went to Lone Peak with me... my trainer is Adrianne Bennett or Sorella Bennett.  It has been the biggest blessing to have an american sister, from alpine who speaks English.  We work really well together.  We are in Savona which is on the border of an ocean... don't know which one but suffice to say it is gorgeous.  Savona is a city.  It's all apartment buildings and mom and pop shops.  The streets are TINY therefore the cars and scooters are tiny.  But it's so charming.  Italy is interesting because ancient Europe meets modern day Europe.  There will be a paved asphalt street and then you turn onto a street with mossy cobblestones.  

So I thought I was prepared for Italian when I got out of the MTC.  Yeah I was way wrong.  It's been a real challenge here.  The people speak very quickly and have thick accents so I've spent most conversations being quiet and trying to catch what people are talking about.  But Language study is a huge help.  I'm learning a lot about the patterns of the language which is helping me speak and sound more mature.  I absolutely love hearing Italian conversations every where.  It is truly a gorgeous language.  

The food here trumps anything I've ever eaten in the U.S.  I've eaten more pasta covered in thick delicious sauce in a week than I ever ate in my life.  I've had Kabab which is equivalent to a really greasy subway sandwich but it was delicious.  And Gelato of course which is sooooo soooooo good.  We've had a few dinner appointments which are my absolute favorite.

We travel by bike, train and walking.  Trains are amazing teaching opportunities and we've had some amazing experiences.  I love biking.  After 7 weeks of sitting in the MTC, it feels amazing to hop on a bike after every lesson.

I'm exhausted, hungry, tired and an old injury is acting up but I've realized that that's part of the work.  Being a missionary means never being fully comfortable except for when you're sleeping.  But It is amazing.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  

We have a small branch here but the members are wonderful.  Their examples are so inspiring.  They have rock solid testimonies and you can see the light in their faces when they come to church and talk about the gospel.  I bore my first testimony in Italian and Sacrament meeting was so spiritual.  The church is alive and well here.  We have a good pool of investigators, less actives and members that we regularly visit.  We also have a senior missionary couple in our mission and we work with them a lot.  It's interesting that I'm happiest when we are at the home of a member or less active or teaching an investigator a lesson at the church.  Service really is the balm for any worry, or fear.  

The people are amazing.  Street contacting or Strada is easy because everybody is willing to talk to anybody.  The people take their time eating, traveling and talking.  Life is at a slower, more relaxed pace.  It's refreshing and I love it.  Also the people dress so stylish all the time.  It's so fun to see.  

I've seen so many little miracles throughout the days.  It is the greatest honor and privilege in the world to be a missionary.  Every day is a new day filled with adventure, blessings, trials and the light of the Gospel.  

Ti Voglio Bene Tutti.

Until Next week,

Sorella Hatch
Our zone with the mission president and his wife

Me, Sorella Bennett and our mission president and his wife

All of us in this picture went to Lone Peak

Me and my collega Sorella Bennett

Kabab and a dessert... didnt know what it was but it was delicious

GELATO!  My first one ever in Italy.  That would be chocolate and black berry,

My side of the room

No comments:

Post a Comment