Wednesday, November 20, 2013

"I'm going on an adventure!" -Bilbo Baggins

That's how I feel like.  If someone said, "Kelsey, what are you doing?"  I would yell in my best British accent, "I'm going on the best adventure of my life."

Life has been full of crazy emotions and events.  Sunday was my farewell.  I've watched many friends have their farewells and I never thought I would actually attend and speak at my own.  But what a wonderful day it was.  I was so grateful to be able to be in church with the 8th ward one last time.  After the Sacrament my brother gave a beautiful talk on how the Aaronic Priesthood prepares him for missionary work.  He talked about how he was grateful that I was going on a mission.  My heart swelled with pride and joy watching my big baby brother bear his testimony of the Priesthood and the power of missionary work.

After his talk my mom and I sang a medley of I need Thee every hour and I know that my Redeemer lives.  We sang one verse of each song in Italian and one verse of each song in English.  Singing with my mother was such an honor.  She has a beautiful voice and we are able to blend together to sound like one voice.  The Spirit was so strong and I could feel the power of the testimony of those hymns.

Then I started my talk.  I ran late that morning so I had to bring my laptop and set it on top of the stand so I could read off of it.  Here is the outline for my talk. 


Hello.  Basic info:  Born in Midvale, till I was 8.  Moved to alpine.  Graduate LPHS 2011.  Study Theater Arts Education and sociology at SUU.    Want to be a high school theater teacher.  Hoping to go to the U after my mission.  Favorite things:  The Color Pink, Romantic Italian groups, high quality European dark chocolate, theater, dancing, running, Krav Maga.

Topic of my talk:  Elder S. Gifford Nielsen 2013 General conference talk:  Hastening the Lord’s game plan.  We each must develop and carry out our own personal game plan to serve with enthusiasm alongside the full-time missionaries.



In order to understand this talk we need to understand three words:  Hastening, Lord, Game plan.

Dictionary.com Hasten:  to move or act with haste; proceed with haste; hurry: to hasten to a place. to cause to hasten; accelerate: to hasten someone from a room; to hasten the arrival of a happier time.

Bible Dictionary:  Lord:  It took me to Christ.  Definition:  The anointed one or messiah.  Jesus, who is called Christ is the first born of the Father in the spirit and the Only Begotten of the Father in the flesh. 

Dictionary.com Gameplan:  A carefully thought out strategy or course of action as in politics, business or one’s personal affairs.  The overall strategy of a team for winning a specific game.   

Conclusion:  We need to move, proceed, hurry, accelerate the carefully thought strategy or course of action of our Savior Jesus Christ who is the first born of our Heavenly Father.  Eternal and significant perspective. 



Now that we know what we are supposed to do we have to think what is the Lord’s gameplan?  I think Elder Gifford frames the talk that the Lord’s game plan is the missionary program that I will be apart of.  Our game plans are vines in the Lord’s vineyard.  Here’s why. 



Quote 1  



So how do we implement a better game plan



1)      First specifically pray to bring someone closer to the Savior and His gospel every day.  You could do this by seeing all people as sons and daughters of God helping each other on their journey home.  Think of the new friends you would make. 



President Monson talk See others as they may become November 2012 ensign:  1961 worldwide conference for mission presidents.  N Eldon Tanner, Assistant to the Quorum of the Twelve.  Most successful missionary because of tracting.  “The young man said that he attempted to baptize every person whom he met. He said that if he knocked on the door and saw a man smoking a cigar and dressed in old clothes and seemingly uninterested in anything—particularly religion—the missionary would picture in his own mind what that man would look like under a different set of circumstances. In his mind he would look at him as clean-shaven and wearing a white shirt and white trousers. And the missionary could see himself leading that man into the waters of baptism. He said, “When I look at someone that way, I have the capacity to bear my testimony to him in a way that can touch his heart.” 

President Monson finishes, “We have the responsibility to look at our friends, our associates, our neighbors this way. Again, we have the responsibility to see individuals not as they are but rather as they can become. I would plead with you to think of them in this way.”


2)      Second, pray for the missionaries serving in your area and their investigators by name every day.  The only way to do this is to greet them, look at their badge, call them by name, and ask them who they are teaching.  Elder Russell M. Nelson wisely contributed, “Until you know a person’s name and face, the Lord cannot help you know his or her heart.” 

I would replace the word know with love.  When our actions are supported by love, that is the Charity or the pure love of Christ.  


3)      Third invite a friend to an activity in our out of your home.  Wherever you go or whatever you do, ponder who would enjoy the occasion and then listen to the Spirit as he directs you. 

Youth especially.  Invite friends to firesides, dances, conferences, camps, etc.  Adults, invite to meetings, ward gatherings, and to have religious discussions.

Sales taught me, if I like it they like it. 
 

My own personal game plan.

Growing up:  Maybe go on a mission.

High school:  Go on a mission if I finish school, haven’t married, haven’t started my career.

College:  Go on a mission if I can stay single by then, finish college, miraculously don’t have a career.

Two big events that first convinced me I would. 

14 years old sacrament meeting prompting.

Park city girls.

Start off second semester= life had no gameplan.  Lonely, miserable.

Announcement:  Clear the fog.  Knew I needed to go.  Gameplan then was finish school, get wisdom teeth out, get papers in, go on a mission.

When I got my call:  do Krav Maga, mission prep, read materials in Italian, stay out of the dating world, tons of dancing, sit tight for months

Changes in me:  How I saw everyone as my brother and sister.  Dress more modestly.  Seek better music, books, friends, entertainment, etc. 

Biggest lesson:  When our gameplan is the Lord’s, that’s when things can go smoothly.  When it’s not, that is the opportunity for us to learn through the trials and gain a better understanding of what the Lord wants us to do. 

Elaborate.



Mission thank yous. Testimony.  Amen.


I wasn't nervous.  Rather it was so wonderful to look out on a crowd of beautiful faces of the people I loved and be able to share my testimony.

The meeting ended and everyone came to the house.  All my family, friends and some neighbors.  My mom cooked a massive pot of pasta and my relatives brought side dishes.  One of my neighbors has connections to Costa Vida and brought over sweet pork.  We didn't make enough food.  Everyone devoured everything.  I spent the day talking, eating, taking pictures, saying thank you, giving hugs and making beautiful memories.  

Finally around 5, all the relatives left and it was just me and the family at house... and my friend Brady.  We hadn't been able to hang out before my farewell so we went on a long walk around the lake behind Lone Peak High School.  It was a beautiful full moon night and we talked about our lives.  I thought to myself that there was no where I would rather be than with one of my best friends, on a beautiful night, discussing missionary work, trials, and how we can become the people we need to be.  We ended the night with a massive hug and he kissed me on the cheek.  I will miss him soooo much!  

The next day I woke up at 11 in the morning as I was extremely exhausted from the farewell.  I was supposed to spend the day packing but instead my beautiful friend Ashley came over.  She is pursuing a mission and it was wonderful to be able to catch up, laugh and give our last goodbyes.  I can't wait to hear where she is going.  Then my mom and I started to pack a little and who stopped by?  None other than Chocolate Boy himself... Al Galan.  We also went on a walk around Lone Peak and just talked and laughed.  He is an amazing man and I am so grateful I had the opportunity to date him and then become best friends.  Another massive hug and kiss on the cheek later, we departed.  

I spent the rest of the evening packing and then we had the best family home evening ever.  It started with a delicious dinner of salmon, rice, broccoli, french bread, fruit and pumpkin spice bundt cake and molten chocolate cake.  After dinner, my dad showed us pictures from his mission.  The Spirit was so strong and I am so proud of my dad for going on a mission.  I am honored to follow in his footsteps.  
After family home evening I was up till 1 am getting ready for Tuesday.  Tuesday was all packing.  I spent six hours in my room organizing, cleaning and assembling everything.  I went on my last run on the treadmill while watching Cake Boss.  I'm gonna miss that show.  In the evening my wonderful neighbor arrived to say goodbye.  She and her husband had taught me some temple prep classes before I got my endowments.  I will be forever grateful for their selfless service as they taught me those classes. 

Finally at 8 pm I reported to the Stake presidents office to be set apart as a missionary.  What a beautiful experience.  The Stake President himself wasn't able to be there because of meetings but his two wonderful counselors were there.  They gave me fantastic advice about trusting in the Lord, following the promptings of the Holy Ghost and being the best missionary I can.  Then I was set apart.  I won't go into detail because it is a very sacred experience but I will say that I felt a physical weight ascend upon my shoulders.  But it is not a burdensome weight.  It made me feel empowered, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually stronger.  There's a story in the Bible about how when Elijah was taken into Heaven, he threw his coat down to Elisha.  It felt like the Spirit had thrown a coat of responsibility, love, power and strength to be able to accomplish what I must while on my mission.  It was one of the best experiences of my life.  

So now I'm off on a mission.  I've had so many emotions that I haven't been able to process them.  But the Lord in his infinite mercy has given my heart a feeling of peace through these last couple days.  This has allowed me to be calm and be able to get through saying goodbye.

Now, I will go with my family to the Provo Temple, take pictures on the grounds, and then they will drop me off at the MTC.   The adventure begins. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment